Although oven cleaning may seem a quick and simple job, it is surprisingly easy to cause unintended damage. If you’re planning on undertaking an oven clean at home, here’s our expert advice to help you avoid causing any damage that could lead to extensive repairs in the future.
- Only use caustic-free cleaning products.
- Avoid harmful chemicals including sodium hydroxide (caustic soda), sodium hypochlorite, potassium hydroxide, and ammonia.
- Look out for the VEA badge. This means that a product has been checked and accredited by the Vitreous Enamel Association and is 100% safe for use on enamel surfaces. Please be aware this doesn’t mean it’s safe for all ovens as not all are enamel based.
- Follow all store-bought oven cleaner instructions carefully.
- Check the labels for hazards.
- Stay safe by avoiding inhalation and contact with skin and eyes.
- Use the correct brushes and scourers. Avoid wire brush heads or scour pads.
Recommended Oven Cleaning Products
Baking Soda and Vinegar
We always recommend using ingredients that are as natural and non-abrasive as possible; that’s why our first DIY oven cleaning recommendation is to use baking soda and vinegar. Creating a paste with baking soda and spraying vinegar is a great way to clean your oven while using 100% natural ingredients. For a full run-down on how to get the best results at home, check out our step-by-step guide.
Mr Muscle Foam
One of the best-known cleaning brands in the UK, Mr Muscle Foam is a great product that lifts dirt away from the surface of your oven. Once sprayed, the foam expands over the interior, leaving you needing to simply wait and then wipe away. Used correctly, this can be a quick and effective way of keeping on top of the build-up of grime and food.
Oven Pride Liquid and Bag
Oven Pride has created a favourite choice in the off-the-shelf market. This product involves a two-step approach to getting your sparkling-clean oven back. Use the innovative bags to soak the grill racks overnight in the solution provided while you coat the oven interior with a liquid. Leave the suggested time before rinsing off with warm, soapy water and disposing of the bags.
Just ensure that you wear the protective gloves provided and follow the instructions. What’s great about this product is that it’s not very messy and it also handles those pesky grill racks and shelves.
Oven Mate Oven Cleaning Gel
Paint this gel onto your oven interior and leave between three minutes and three hours depending on the level of dirt. Take care and follow the instructions when removing, ensuring that you protective yourself with gloves to avoid damaging your skin.
Oven Cleaning Product Warning
As with these three branded products, oven cleaners often contain hazardous substances that cause irritation to skin and eyes and can even be fatal if consumed. It’s also worth noting that all of the above give off fumes and that they require time to take effect, meaning that your oven will be out-of-action in the interim.
Like all chemical cleaners, double check they are suitable for use on enamel or stainless steel surfaces before using. If you’re at all concerned or not sure about what product you should use contact us to get the job done for you.