Oven-cleaning bags are a relatively new innovation and certainly make the process of cleaning your oven a little easier. Care must always be taken when you are dealing with dangerous chemicals, so before you begin, make sure you have some long rubber gloves for protection. Remember that oven-cleaning bags are not suitable for use on any part of the hob or on the glass oven door or trim. Follow all the instructions carefully.
Safety Points when Using Oven-Cleaning Bags
- Ensure the room is well ventilated.
- Never use the product on a hot oven.
- Protect surrounding surfaces from drips.
- Do not eat or drink whilst using the product.
- Keep all oven-cleaning products away from children and animals.
Cleaning Oven Racks and Grills with Bags
- Place oven grill racks in the bag.
- Add half to three quarters of the cleaning solution into the bag and seal it around the racks after expelling as much air as you can.
- Tilt the bag to coat the grill racks in the cleaning fluid.
- Leave the oven cleaning bag to soak for two hours.
- Tilt the bag again to re-coat the racks in cleaning fluid.
- Leave for at least four hours.
- Open the bag and pull the sides down so that you can remove the racks without reaching inside.
- Carefully rinse the racks with hot soapy water and dry before placing them back in the oven.
Related: How to Clean Oven Racks
Cleaning the Inside of the Oven
Cleaning the inside of your oven can be a long task with lots of elbow grease. We’d recommend getting a professional oven cleaner to tackle the grime for you, but if you do want to give it a go yourself, do it like this:
- As before, ensure that you are wearing gloves and that your hands and arms are completely covered.
- Take some of the remaining cleaning fluid and pour it into the centre of the oven.
- Working from the back of the oven to the front and using a cloth or sponge, carefully apply the fluid to the areas that need to be cleaned.
- Leave for a minimum of four hours but preferably overnight.
- When you return to finish cleaning the oven the next day, don’t forget to put your gloves back on and then remove the residue from the inside of the oven, working from front to back.
- Using hot soapy water, rinse thoroughly. If there are any areas that are still soiled, a further spot application may be needed.
Disposing of the Oven-Cleaning Bag
Most cleaning products have a lot of harsh chemicals, so it’s important to dispose of the products and equipment safely. Oven-cleaning bags are no different. Here’s how:
- Wearing gloves, partially fill the bag with water and seal it. Tilt the bag so that the fluid collects in one corner and cut off the opposite corner. Tilt the bag towards the cut-off corner and dispose of the contents down the sink.
- Rinse the bottle out with water and dispose of it and the bag safely.
Cleaning your oven with oven-cleaning bags is an improvement on some methods but still involves a fair amount of work and can be time-consuming. However, the bags are certainly very effective for cleaning oven racks. There are a few limitations since the oven-cleaning products cannot be used on the glass door, the light and certain other areas.
To restore your oven to a nearly-new condition with minimum effort, why not opt for a professional deep clean from an experienced Ovenu technician. That way you can avoid all the hard work and end up with a sparkling, new-looking oven!
Related: Our Ultimate Guide on How To Clean Your Oven