I think we can all agree that us Brits love a good quality burger, however, the typical beef burger has been over-shadowed by the huge range of burger options throughout the UK. Here at Ovenu, we have put together burger recipes for you to create at home that you may not have thought of:
250g chickpeas from a can
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
small pack flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 rounded tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 burger buns, cut in half
1. Drain, rinse and dry the chickpeas thoroughly, then tip into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until lightly broken up into coarse crumbs.
2. Add the onion, garlic, spices, parsley, flour and some seasoning, and continue to pulse until combined. Using your hands, gently form the mixture into 4 patties about 10cm in diameter and 2cm thick.
3. In a large pan, heat the oil and fry the falafels on each side for 2-3 mins or until golden (you may need to do this in batches). Lightly griddle the burger buns on the cut side in a griddle pan, or toast under the grill.
4. Spread one side of each bun with houmous, top with a falafel burger, add a handful of watercress, then pop the remaining bun half on top.
Crispy Sesame Fish Burger with Lime Mayo
250g sustainable white fish fillets, such as cod, haddock or pollock
2 tbsp plain flour
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsp dried breadcrumb
2 tbsp sesame seed
vegetable oil, for frying
1 ripe avocado
juice 1 lime
small pack coriander, chopped
2 tbsp light mayonnaise
2 burger bun, split and toasted
1. Cut the fish into 4 chunky fingers. Put the flour in a bowl with some seasoning, put the egg in another bowl, and the breadcrumbs and sesame seeds in a third. Dust the fish fingers in flour, then dip in egg and, finally, coat in breadcrumbs. Chill for 10 mins, if you have time.
2. Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan and cook the fish fingers for 3-4 mins each side until golden and cooked through, adding a drizzle more oil if the pan looks too dry.
3. Meanwhile, stone, peel and slice the avocado, squeeze over a little of the lime juice to prevent it from turning brown, then mix the remaining lime juice and coriander into the mayonnaise.
4. To serve, spread a little mayo over the base of each bun, top with 2 fish fingers, a few slices of avocado and the bun lid. Serve the remaining mayo on the side.
Tangy Tuna Burgers
200g fresh tuna steak
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
small knob fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
Handful coriander leaves, chopped
1 tbsp sunflower oil
burger buns, lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and avocado, to serve
1. Chop the tuna into small chunks, then carry on chopping until the tuna is roughly minced. Tip the tuna into a bowl and mix with the garlic, ginger, soy sauce and coriander. Shape into two burgers, place on a plate, then freeze for 10 mins to firm up.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, then cook the burgers for 1-2 mins on each side or until done to your liking. Serve the burgers in toasted buns with lettuce, tomato and avocado.
Cajun Chicken & Pineapple Burgers
4 chicken breast
2 tbsp Cajun seasoning (we used Bart)
drizzle of olive oil
4 pineapple rings, from a can
50g cheddar, grated
2 tbsp soured cream
4 burger bun, split and toasted
a few lettuce leaves
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1. Heat the grill to medium-high and line a baking tray with foil. Place the chicken between 2 sheets of cling film and bash to an even thickness using a rolling pin. Rub the Cajun spice mix, the oil and some seasoning all over the chicken, then put them on the baking tray. Grill for 10 mins, turning halfway through. Top each chicken breast with a pineapple ring and some grated cheese, then return to the grill and cook for a further 2-3 mins until the cheese is golden and bubbling, and the chicken is cooked through.
2. Spread a little soured cream over the base of each bun, then add lettuce, a chicken breast, sliced red onion, and pop the top on.
Apple & Mustard Pork Burgers
250g new potato, halved if large
small eating apple, quartered, cored and grated
250g pork mince
2 spring onion, trimmed and finely chopped
2 tbsp dried breadcrumb
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
¼ small pack parsley, trimmed and finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp tzatziki
rocket, to serve (optional)
1. Heat the grill to medium-hot. Boil the potatoes for 20-25 mins or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, use your hands to squeeze any excess juice from the apple, then place in a bowl with the mince, onions, breadcrumbs, mustard, parsley and some seasoning. Use your hands to mix the ingredients until well combined. Add half the egg (reserve the rest for Chinese leaf pork wraps, see ‘goes well with’) and mix again. With clean, wet hands (to prevent sticking), shape the mixture into 2 burgers. Grill the burgers on a foil-lined tray for 18-20 mins, turning once until golden.
3. Drain the potatoes, toss in the tzatziki straight away and serve with the burgers and rocket, if you like.
*The Classic with a Twist* – Beef Burger with Sweet Potato Chilli Chips
4 large, roundish sweet potatoes, cut into chunky chips
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp chilli flakes, plus a pinch
400g pack extra-lean beef mince
1 onion, grated
1 tbsp grated Parmesan
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
4 small wholemeal buns, halved
1 Little Gem lettuce, leaved separated
1 beef tomato, sliced
1 red onion, sliced (optional)
4 pickles or gherkin, halved
1. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Toss the chips with the oil, 1 tsp chilli flakes and some seasoning. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking tray and cook for about 30 mins, turning halfway through.
2. Put the mince, remaining chilli flakes, onion, Parmesan, tomato ketchup and lots of black pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine. Shape into 4 burgers. Ten mins before the chips are ready, put the burgers on a baking tray and bake for 10 mins until cooked through.
3. Top one half of the buns with the lettuce, tomato and onion. Add the burgers, then top with the roll tops. Serve with chips and pickles on the side.
Our mouths are watering at the thought of tucking into these and we hope you enjoy them too.
Of course if you don’t have time to clean your oven after creating all of these delicious recipes, Ovenu are always on hand to send out a qualified, friendly technician that can professionally valet your oven and leave it looking like new. Give us a call today on 0800 140 9800 or head to https://www.ovenu.co.uk/contact-us and fill out an enquiry form.