Considering how frequently households use the kitchen microwave, it’s surprising how often they are overlooked for a good old fashioned clean. We often clean our counter tops, fridges, hobs, sinks and other appliances every week, while only cleaning the microwave every once in a while (and that usually means only cleaning the door of the appliance!). That might make things look good on the outside but it’s important not to forget what bacteria and grime could be lurking inside, when not this piece of equipment is not properly attended to.
Just like your standard kitchen oven and pans, microwaves can end up covered in burnt-on food stains, grease and grime, and taking on a lingering smell from yesterday’s dinner.
So, if you’re looking to show your microwave some love, here are some of the best ways to clean your microwave, and how to incorporate its maintenance into your weekly chores.
Step By Step Guide on How to Clean Your Microwave
- Always make sure you disconnect your microwave from the mains before cleaning.
- Grab a large microwave-safe bowl or container and fill to half-way with cold water (tap water is fine) with slices of lemon and several tablespoons of vinegar. You can also add orange and lime slices for an extra citrus hit.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and heat on high for several minutes – check to make sure that the solution boils and that the window gets steamy.
- Leave to cool for approximately 15 minutes.
- Open the door and remove the bowl.
- Wipe the inside of the microwave dry using a paper towel.
- Clean the rubber seal around the door using a damp sponge. Use only water to ensure you don’t damage the rubber with chemicals.
- If the window is greasy, make up a solution of half water and half vinegar and wipe it down with a cloth or sponge.
- As before, dry the window and any excess water with a paper towel.
Undertake this deep clean every few weeks, or after an accidental spill or splatter, to keep your microwave sparkling clean and just like new.
How Ovenu Can Help You Keep Your Microwave Clean
If you’re facing some really stubborn stains or you just want to put your feet up while a professional takes care of the job, get in contact today for a free quote. We’ll have your microwave looking like new in no time at all.